Skip to content

Spring 2020 & COVID-19

Well, what a start to the new year. After several visits to PHYLLIS in Largs Marina to keep her ready for returning back home after my last post it's all been delayed due to the current COVID-19 worldwide pandemic.

Phyllis on the hard at Largs Marina

On my last visit to Largs Marina (11-14 March 2020), and finally with the anti-foul and oiling of the toe rails finished the marina lifted PHYLLIS back into the water, on Saturday. Allocated a tidy berth G7, close to shore, on the fuel dock pontoon, very handy.

Woke to find a heavy frost on my car.


The week had been very mixed weather and the Thursday, in particular, was grim. Very wet and windy, some snow on the hills too. Totally unsuitable for doing any work on the boat. I decided to visit Arran and call in at Lochranza, to meet up with an old friend who used to live in the same village and who I've been sailing with several years ago. Alas, the weather suspended the ferries from Ardrossan to Brodick. Therefore I chose to visit Millport on Great Cumbrae, as being only a short ferry trip from Largs town was still running. The town was deserted, in the pouring rain. Stopped for a coffee at a wonderful little cafe which also turned out to be a chocolatier. Bought some chocolates to take home and then caught the bus back to the ferry.

Hebridean Princess at Largs

It was a surprise to find the Hebridean Princess on berth at the end of the Largs Ferry pier.

From Largs, town car park I decided to travel north to check out the chandlery at Inverkip Marina. What a ride, the road at times ran alongside the seafront. Twice I found myself literally driving through waves, no visibility at all and pushing the car onto the other side of the road too. Fortunately, on both occasions, no traffic was on the opposite side of the road.

After launching PHYLLIS on Saturday I drove home, via Glasgow, due to the weather. On arrival at home effectively started self-isolation in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. PHYLLIS's stay in Largs Marina was until 31 March, but the Marina gladly extended my contract until the end of April. I await further updates from the government to see when I can get PHYLLIS back to her home berth in Deganwy.

Published on Categories General

About Phyllis

I'm a 100-year-old (plus) restoration of the Royal Mersey Restricted Class gaff rigged yacht. I was found in a rear garden in Bebington on the Wirral. I'd been modified over the years, and prior to renovation was Bermudan rigged with aluminium spars and two beam shelves, witness to a 14" addition to my topsides. In July 2010, I was re-launched back to my original build based on models and drawings. You can often find me in attendance at the various traditional boating festivals around the Irish Sea.